Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dad 2011 Nov. 3

Over the past two weeks, I have found myself craving root beer (Dad's favorite soda) and wearing purple more than ever before. I gave out toys as well as candy this year for Halloween and the only 2 items left over were 2 purple rings that I am wearing on my finger. Strange because my grandchildren took me out for dinner and my neighbor gave out my candy for me. I have felt Dad more than I have in a long time and know he is happy.
Loved the pictures of Mom and Dad's headstones that one of Jo Ellen's friends took for all of us. They are beautiful and represent those attributes and favorite things of both of them. I wish I was close enough to go be there and feel again the peacefulness of the place. So beautiful.
Dad used to tease us and tell us that when he died to just put him in a burlap bag and dump him in the Mississippi River! He was somewhat serious about it, but we always knew that would never happen. We asked him about where he wanted to be laid to rest and at first he said Seattle but changed his mind and wanted to be with Mom.
Dad had a habit of going around the house at night without anything but his underwear and one of the funniest things that still makes me smile is when I got him some pajama bottoms and I misjudged the size and they went all the way up to his chest! He came out and acted like he was a runway model posing for us in various ways. I guess you had to be there, but Jo Ellen got it on her camera (is that right)? The 3 of us laughed for a good 1/2 hour over that. I had night duty most of the time and would end up watching the Golden Girls with him a lot of nights. He loved that show and was always laughing at their antics.
There are so many memories of the 9 months total that I spent with him in Illinois, and now is not the time to share them all, just know that most of the time, Dad was very happy and we took him on outings all the time. Sometimes, just him and me, sometimes Jo Ellen, Dad, and myself and of course at others with the entire family in Nauvoo.
I wish that all of us as the children of Mom and Dad, could have spent time together with Dad during this time, but understanding it was not to be.
My heart and my thoughts are with Mom and Dad, and thinking of Montana and their beautiful property there today more than ever. I also want all family to know how much I love all of you and hope that forgiveness of any past wrongs will bring us all together again. That is my wish.
Your sister, cousin, niece, friend,
Lee (Ann) Westergren Hopkins

No comments: